Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dollar of Sand

It's time for another tidbit of photography! Back when I lived in Florida I used to walk the beach for hours and explore. One of those times I brought my camera with me and got some photos. One of those photos happened to be of a currency that not to many people use very often....sand dollars. Everyone has been to the beach when they were a kid and found a sun bleached shard of a sand dollar and then went, screaming, to their mom, "MOM! Look what I found!"

In my case however, the sand dollar was alive. I had never seen a sand dollar with it's whole body before and it took me a little while to figure out what it was. I put it on my hand and its thousand little "tentacles" wiggled and twisted. It was one of the weirdest feelings I've ever experienced. I ended up taking it home and setting it down. One really strange thing it did was when any fresh water substance touched it, it would ink this yellow substance out, which would then permeate and dye your skin. I put it on some rocks and took a picture of it and this is what I got.



It was such a strange creature and I never expected the simple sand dollar we all saw when we were kids to be such interesting animals when they were alive.
Godbless

No comments:

Post a Comment